12/10/2017, 9:15 AM to 10:15 AM
Weekly on Sunday
Parish Hall map
The Rector's Forum serves as a vehicle for theological education, a platform to discuss civic and cultural events and a way to keep ourselves current on the issues we face as Christians and members of Holy Communion.
Here is the schedule of topics for this fall:
- August 13 Rally Day and Sandy's State of the Parish addresss
- August 20 Look at the city of Memphis recycling program with Joy Williams
- August 27 Lessons from the Memphis Immersion with Matthew Arehart
- September 3 Brave Nuns & Bold Faith; the story of Constance and her Companions and their connection to St. Mary's.
- September 10 21st Century Heresy, mystery forum led by Sandy
- September 17 21st Century Heresy, continued
- September 24 BRIDGES telling its story of reconciliation and role we play.
- October 1 Unomfortable Psalms, Dr. Phil McMillion, parishioner and biblical scholar, leading a three-week course on the "hard Psalms."
- October 8 Hard Psalms continued
- October 15 Hard Psalms continued
- October 22 Protestant Family Tree Sandy leading us through the splits and divides that made the Protestants what they are today.
- October 29 Reformation Sunday. We are gathering for a grand celebration of revolutionary ideas that changed the world and toppled the Roman Catholic Church's unfettered power over Europe.
- November 5 The Reverend Deacon Robert Zito, deacon at Trinity Church on Wall Street and now retired partner in a prestigious Manhattan law firm, will talk to us abou the intersection of business and faith.
- November 12 Dr. Martin Luther King's "Beloved Community." Class led by members of the Contemporary Theologicial Issues class.
- November 19 Hester is leading discussion of Van Gogh and God and the artist's compassionate theology as it shines in his paintings and letters to his brother, Theo, and others.
- November 26 Chief Public Defender of Shelby County speaking on the suffering crime causes, both for victims and perpertrators, and some things we can try as a congregation.
- December 3 Sandy leading class on Dr. Martin Luther King's Letter from the Birmingham Jail.
- December 10 Daniel Amsler leading discussion of the biblical texts from which Dr. Martin Luther King often preached.
- December 17 MIFA formed in the chaos in the weeks and months after Dr. Martin Luther King's assassination. Core staff from one of our longest-standing ministry partners will tell the agency's founding and update us its work.