Dispatches from Houston, Part II

On Tuesday night, the group got the opportunity to go to the Astros game. It was nice to take a break from all of our hard work. By the end of the second inning, it was 6-0, and the Mariners were winning; however, we continued to cheer on the home team, except for Brandon, who was just trying to annoy the fans.

Even though the Astros lost 7-1, we all had a blast. We went back to the treehouse (Christ Church Cathedral’s nickname for the youth space where we were staying) and hung out for a while before going to bed. The next day, we got an early start and headed to the Houston Food Bank. When we got there, one of the employees took us to the back room where we sorted rice. At the head of each sorting station was a giant sack of rice. It must have been 4 feet tall and at least 4 feet in diameter!

At first it was discouraging to see how much rice needed to be put into bags, but it ended up being very fun. It was a lot of hard work but we made an assembly line, which sped things up. They were blaring music, and we all were able to talk to each other while we were working. After about four hours of bagging the rice, we went into another room and helped clean up a mess another group left behind.

It was important that we were able to help because otherwise the people who were working super hard to get all of the groups together would have had to clean it up themselves. We then drove back to the church and ate lunch. After lunch, we watched a movie and made keychains for people who are just out of rehab. We then walked over to the Hines Center for a tour. The Hines Center was founded by Christ Church Cathedral as a nondenominational organization that allows people to focus on their own spirituality through movement and prayer. After the tour, the group walked the labyrinth that was built into the ground on the first floor.

Afterward, we drove to work with Friends of Northside again to help tear apart the house even more. This was the last day that groups could come to work on it so we knew we needed to put in a lot of effort. It was inspiring and motivating to see how happy our work made the owners who have been through a lot this year. We were able to recover many sentimental items and managed to knock down the majority of the remaining walls. By the end of it, we looked like coal miners.

To reward us, Friends of  Northside provided us with tacos for dinner. We headed back to the treehouse and immediately went to get all of the ash off of us. We watched another movie and prepared for the next day.

We woke up and headed to the Woodlands to work for The Abundant Harvest, an organization that uses foods that grocery stores were unable to sell. We worked four hours to make 400 meals for people that are not able to provide for themselves and their families. Molly, who is in charge of making the meals, was very kind and extremely patient. After we finished we all felt very accomplished.

Afterward, the boys and the girls went to do separate activities. Tess took the girls to a yoga class at the Hines Center. We all had so much fun and left feeling very relaxed. The boys went to the Fine Arts Museum. We met up with them after we finished our class and headed to the park. We threw the frisbee, played on the playground and made new friends while we were there. We came back to the treehouse and ate Greek food from Niko Niko's for dinner. Then, we packed up and cleaned in preparation for leaving. 

We have all learned so much throughout this week and gained a new perspective.

- Neeley Mathes, Libby Prince & Emma Gammill

Posted by Jane Roberts at 10:04 AM
Share |
Memphis Web Design by Speak